- Who is the data controller in respect of your personal information?
- What information do we collect?
- What do we do with your personal information?
- With whom do we share your personal information?
- Where will your personal information be processed?
- Protecting your personal information
- What choices do I have?
- Access to your personal information
- How to contact us
- Policy changes
- B&Q plc, a limited company registered in England (company number: 00973387), whose registered office is B&Q House, Chestnut Avenue, Chandler's Ford, Eastleigh, Hampshire SO53 3LE, United Kingdom;
- B&Q Ireland Limited, a limited company registered in the Republic of Ireland (company number: 0156844), whose registered office is 6th Floor, 2 Grand Canal Square, Dublin 2, Republic of Ireland;
- B&Q (Retail) Jersey Limited, a limited company registered in Jersey (company number: 9769), whose registered office is La Motte Chambers, St Helier JE1 1PB, Jersey; and
- B&Q (Retail) Guernsey Limited, a limited company registered in Guernsey (company number: 2572), whose registered office is Canada Court, Upland Road, St Peter Port GY1 3BQ, Guernsey.
We are committed to protecting your privacy. We will use your personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 (the DPA) and other applicable laws and regulations that relate to data protection and privacy.
As described below, we may share your personal information with other organisations that may receive and process your personal information as a data controller in their own right.
In particular, we may collect and process the following personal information about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms, including those on our Website. This includes information provided by you at the time of becoming a registered user of our Website or a member of a scheme we operate (including the B&Q Club) (or any time thereafter) or if you enter any competition or promotion sponsored by us. This information could include your name, date of birth, address, contact details and information about your DIY and home improvement capabilities and intentions.
- When you place order(s) for goods or services (whether on our Website or otherwise), we collect personal information to process and fulfil your order(s), including your payment card details and delivery address. If you become a registered user of our Website, you can save your payment card details and delivery addresses for future use.
- Details about the transactions you carry out with us, including through our Website.
- CCTV footage in which you feature when you visit our premises.
- In the event that you have an accident while on our premises that you bring to our attention, we may record details of that accident and any injury you suffer in the relevant store's accident log.
- Information contained in and records of communications between us, including recordings of telephone calls.
- Information about your preferences in connection with our Website, for the purposes of enhancing and personalising your experience on the Website.
- Details of your visits to our Website, including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data (including the country and telephone area code where your computer is located) and the resources that you access (including the pages of our Website that you view).
- We will also collect information concerning your marketing preferences.
We use your personal information in connection with our business activities. In particular, we may use your personal information in the following ways:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us; for example, we will use your payment card details and delivery address to process and fulfil your order(s);
- to manage our relationship and to administer your membership to any membership scheme we provide (including membership to the B&Q Club); for example, we will keep a record of your membership and use your details to ensure you receive the benefits of that membership;
- in the event that you do not complete your registration or order, we may use any contact information you have provided us to follow-up on your partial registration or order;
- to manage and administer any other arrangements between you and us (or one or more of our affiliates);
- to notify you about changes to our services and to otherwise communicate with you; for example, we will use your contact details in order to respond to any queries that you submit to us;
- at or following any purchase or order you make, we may carry out security checks to protect against fraudulent transactions and to prevent and detect criminal activity; for example, we may undertake verification checks to identify any discrepancies with your payment details;
- to carry out market research; for example, we may contact you (including by email) to obtain your feedback on our products and services, and we may use details of your purchases to understand market trends and to identify popular products;
- to help us review, develop and improve the products and services we offer; for example, calls to our contact centres may be monitored and/or recorded for quality control and training purposes; and
- to address any claims made against us; for example, we may share details of our accident logs and CCTV footage with our claims handlers and insurers in connection with any claim made or likely to be made against us.
In accordance with your preferences, we may also use your personal information to provide you with information about products, services, promotions and offers that may be of interest to you. We may use your personal information in order to ascertain the products, services, promotions and offers that are likely to be of particular interest to you. The section below entitled "What choices do I have?" explains how you can change whether to receive this information. Please note that, even if you choose not to receive this information, we may still use your personal information to provide you with important services communications, including communications in relation to any orders you submit or products you purchase. We may also offer you the opportunity to indicate the specific types of marketing communications you are particularly interested in receiving from us; where possible, we will tailor the communications you receive to reflect your choices, but we may send you other communications that may be of interest to you. If you are a B&Q Club member, please note that by opting out of marketing communications from us, you will also opt-out of receiving B&Q Club communications.
In connection with the above uses of your personal information, we may share your personal information with third parties as described below.
We are a member of the Kingfisher Group of companies; for more information on the Kingfisher Group please visit: www.kingfisher.co.uk. We may disclose your personal information to other members of the Kingfisher Group in connection with the purposes above and those listed below.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties, including in the following circumstances:
- We use third parties to carry out certain activities on our behalf that involve the processing of personal information. For example, we may engage third party service providers to fulfil orders, carry out surveys and installations, deliver packages, send postal mail and email, maintain and update our databases of customer details (including the removal of repetitive information), analyse data, provide marketing assistance, process card payments, provide customer service and handle claims. These third parties have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes. We may use the information we receive from third parties to supplement, improve and add to our databases of customer details.
- We may pass personal information to external agencies and organisations (including the police and other law enforcement agencies) for the purpose of preventing and detecting fraud (including fraudulent transactions) and criminal activity. These external agencies may check the information we give them against public and private databases and may keep a record of such checks to use in future security checks. We may also disclose personal information to the police and other law enforcement authorities in connection with the prevention and detection of crime.
- We may pass personal information to our insurers in the event that a claim is made or could be made against us. For example, we may send CCTV footage and information contained in our accident logs to our insurers
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, we may disclose personal information held by us about our customers to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets. If we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party (or subject to a reorganisation within our corporate group), personal information held by us about our customers will be one of the transferred assets.
We may share non-personal aggregate statistics (group) data about visitors to our Website, sales and traffic patterns with members of the Kingfisher Group and other parties.
In relation to the above uses of your personal information and the above sharing arrangements, your personal information may be transferred to, and stored and processed in, one or more countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA), including countries which do not provide equivalent protection for personal information as the DPA. In these circumstances, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is adequately protected in accordance with the requirements of the DPA.
Cookies are small text files that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and help us to track visitors to our Website so we can better understand what portions of the Website best serve you.
It is not possible to place orders and purchase goods and services using the Website unless you have cookies turned on and we suggest that you leave them turned on.
Our cookies enable us to provide features such as the ability to store items in your Shopping Basket between visits.
To find out more about the types of cookies we use on the Website, how we use them and how you can change your cookies settings, please read our Cookies policy.
Please note that such third party websites are not under our control and we do not contribute to the content of such websites. When you click through to these websites you leave the area controlled by us. We do not accept responsibility or liability for any issues arising in connection with the third party's use of your data (including your personal information), the website content or the services offered to you by these websites.
Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we are able to disclose sensitive information to you.
The transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure; this risk is common across the internet and not specific to our Website. We cannot guarantee the security of your data (including your personal information) transmitted to our Website; any transmission is at your own risk.
It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computing device. Be sure to sign off and close your browser when you have finished your user session. This will help to ensure that others do not access your personal information if you share your computing device or use a computing device in a public place such as a library or internet café.
Where you are a registered user of our Website, you can update certain personal information we hold about you (including your marketing preferences) by using the My Account section on our Website and logging in using your username and password.
You may change your marketing preferences at any time by writing to B&Q Customer Services, B&Q House, Chestnut Avenue, Chandler's Ford, Eastleigh, Hampshire SO53 3LE, United Kingdom or by using the Contact Us enquiry form on our Website. You can choose to stop receiving marketing emails or SMS messages from us by following the unsubscribe link and instructions on the respective marketing emails or SMS messages we send you.
The DPA gives you the right to access your personal information. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the DPA. Any access request may be subject to a fee (currently not exceeding £10) to meet our costs in providing you with details of the personal information we hold about you. To request access to your personal information, please contact us using the details below.
- online via the Contact Us enquiry form on our Website
- by telephone on 03330 143 098
- by writing to us at: B&Q Customer Services, B&Q House, Chestnut Avenue, Chandler's Ford, Eastleigh, Hampshire SO53 3LE, United Kingdom
This Policy was last updated in August 2015.