Every year, we recruit between 20 and 40 exceptional people to join our Retail Management Graduate Programme.
If you're one of those people, you’ll enjoy an excellent salary and benefits package, you'll learn valuable skills and you'll have the chance to develop your career quickly in a thriving FTSE 100 business.
You'll also spend your days helping customers to have better homes and better lives - and colleagues to enjoy their work more.
Who are we looking for?
We're looking for graduates who are bright, ambitious, outgoing and confident.
You’ll need at least a 2:2 degree, awarded within the last two years. Ideally, you should already have some retail experience - and you should be prepared to relocate anywhere in the UK.
Most of all, we’re looking for people who are interested in people, because that’s what the job is really about: customers and colleagues.
It's about how you relate to them, how you motivate them, how you can help them make their homes better or their work more enjoyable.
Not everyone can do it. If you think you can, we’d love to meet you.
How the programme works
The graduate programme lasts for two years.
- You spend your first three months in store, working as a Customer Advisor, to get a hands-on insight into our customers, our service and the way our stores work.
- At the same time, you take part in a structured induction to introduce you to our business and start to develop your management skills.
- When you've successfully completed this induction, you'll take on your first management role, looking after part of the store and leading your own team.
- Over the following months, you'll handle a variety of different management roles, to give you the fullest possible understanding of what's involved in running a store.
- You'll also have access to our leadership portfolio, which aims to nurture and develop the future leaders of B&Q.
- At the end of the programme, once you've shown you're ready, you get your first appointment as a store manager.
And that's where the fun really begins...
Training & development
As part of your Graduate Programme, you'll have the chance to develop your skills in a variety of ways – some of them structured, some of them tailored to your individual needs.
You'll take part in our comprehensive retail management training course.
You'll receive regular mentoring from an established manager and one-to-one support from a qualified coach.
You'll attend management conferences and meet senior leaders, to give you a first-hand insight into our strategy - and an opportunity to have your say.
And you'll meet key people from across the business to learn more about what we're doing in areas such as marketing, product development, community work and environmental planning.
Rewards & benefits
When we find the right people, we believe in rewarding them well.
As a graduate trainee with B&Q, you'll receive a starting salary of £25,000 - which will be reviewed as you complete the different elements of the programme. By the end of the year, your starting salary could have increased by as much as 40%.
You'll also receive a range of other benefits, including:
- Management Bonus
- Store team Bonus
- Kingfisher pension scheme (after 12 months)
- Life assurance
- Share save scheme
- 20% staff discount
- Childcare vouchers
- A UK benefits scheme, with discounts on shopping, holidays,
- UK attractions, restaurants and theatre tokens
- Career breaks
- Maternity/paternity packages
- Long service awards