We form a key part of all the communities in the UK and Ireland where we operate.
We have a significant commercial impact on each of these communities, not least because of the employment we provide and the opportunities we have to contribute to community projects. We are mindful that our stores have the potential to cause disturbance to local residents, especially through traffic movements, vehicle noise, light pollution and litter and work hard to minimise that.
We are determined to involve all B&Q sites in creating lasting improvements in, and benefits for, the communities they serve and to be welcome as 'good neighbours'.
Our new community strategy focuses on giving young people the opportunity and confidence to take on DIY and home improvement projects of their own. Our strategy builds on the extensive work we have been doing to help up-skill young people in Britain - from Kids Classes to Job Done!, our free DIY and home improvement programme for schools.
- Contribute skills and funding to selected community projects through initiatives including the waste donation scheme
- Support national charities through charity of the year partnerships
- Offer a matched funding programme to a
set limit to recognise employees'
fundraising efforts when they raise
money for their favourite charities
and good causes
what we've achieved so far...
- Since 1997 our grant programme has supported more than 10,000 community projects
- Introduced a range of products to sell in aid of our charity partners eg in 2009 our paddling pool raised more than £32,000 for NSPCC/Children 1st/ISPCC
- In 2009, our first year as a corporate partner to BBC Children in Need, we raised more than £70,000
- In 2009 we raised more than £56,000 for Help for Heroes through our B&Q Sanctuary Garden at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show and the sale of a limited edition 'Help for Heroes' petunia mix
- In 2002 we launched our payroll-giving programme, an easy and tax-free way for employees to support their favourite charities direct from their pay. To date our generous employees have donated more than £1 million
- Through our partnership with Cancer Research UK we raised more than £930,000 between 2004 and 2008 thanks to generous customers and employees