B&Q is proud to sponsor Scout Community Week which takes place between 3 and 9 June 2013.
We will be asking Cubs and Scouts across the country to 'Do 1 Thing' in their local community.
Whether that be decorating a community centre, revamping a community garden or clearing a community space, Scouts across the country will be working hard in their community to raise funds for their own Scout Group, for the Scout Grant Development Board and to raise the profile of Scouts and young people in their local communities.
In May Scout groups will be fundraising in our stores to support their community projects. They can also get the skills, help and advice they need to complete their projects. We will be giving skills through our in-store experts, free kids workshops and also through our You Tube how to videos, made by Scouts for Scouts.
Scouting groups can access our how to videos, including 'how to paint a wall' and 'how to build a bird box' at www.youtube.com/bandq - type scouts in the search box
Visit www.scouts.org.uk/communityweek for more details on Scouts Community Week.
Some examples from Scout Community Week 2012
- Bear Grylls, Chief Scout, joined local Scouts for a beach clean-up on the shores of Loch Ness, supported by B&Q Inverness (pictured right).
- B&Q Penzance helped Groups build bird boxes to install for Scout Community Week projects.
- 115th Kirkcaldy Scouts raised £840 by bag packing and organising a raffle in their local B&Q. The store also provided equipment and a helping hand to re-landscape a local nursing home's garden.
- 11th Wallington Cubs and Beavers visited B&Q Sutton to fundraise and attend workshops to earn their DIY badges.
- Stambermill St Marks Scouts raised £670 through bag packing and assisting customers at B&Q Halesowen.
More about our partnership
In May 2011 we announced a partnership with the Scout Association. We are proud to sponsor the DIY activity badge for both the Cubs and Scouts.
In addition to this, where our stores hold Kids Classes, part of our partnership allows Beavers, Cubs and Scouts to attend these classes for free. If you are a local scout group please contact your local store to find out where you can access this offer at a mutually convenient time.
Each of our stores should be supporting scouting groups through advice on projects and products and through our waste donation scheme.
Every year we attend various Scouting events to help Cubs and Scouts towards their DIY Activity Badges. These have included Beaver and Cub fun days and Scout Winter Camp at Scout Headquarters, Gilwell Park, near Chingford.