In June finalists were shortlisted and invited to come and join the team at B&Q House where activities ranged from sharing examples of their work and stories with us, to taking part in a kid's class where they made their very own tool box.
It gives us great pleasure to announce and introduce you to the winners of our competition, Rose and Jamie!
Since winning, Rose and Jamie have passed on some top tips on making the most of your outdoor space...
15, from Northamptonshire,
Young DIY Ambassador
Rose's Top tips
- Wrap outdoor lights round trees and turn them on at night.
- Paint your shed a cool new colour – may be a beach hut theme!
- Paint your fence panels – could be different colours, even a mural.
15, from Peterborough,
Young Gardening Ambassador
Jamie's Top tips
- Grown out of your paddling pool or sandpit? Why not convert it into a raised bed?
- Use your B&Q Bucket to create a mini water feature using a submersible pump and choosing your own stones to fill the bucket.
- Grow your own pizza!! Tomatoes, onions and basil make the perfect pizza sauce. Keep the plants inside until they are ready to be transferred into the garden and make sure you pierce a hole for drainage.
The competition's long term plan
Over the next year our Young Ambassadors will help us to engage young people and equip them with practical skills and confidence.
We'll be adding videos about their projects to our YouTube channel, plus Rose and Jamie will be writing articles for our internal publication One Planet Home Times and creating top tips for our customer emails.
If you're inspired by our Young Ambassador's top tips, we've got some great help and advice to get you started...