At B&Q we seek only the most talented individuals and are committed to helping them reach their full potential. We are proud that our people reflect the communities we serve and we encourage everyone to share their opinions, respect each other's views, act with dignity and build customer loyalty.
We are creating an environment that respects, welcomes and enables our staff to reach their full potential for the benefit of the company and themselves. We believe that a diverse workforce creates a mix of talents and that makes us a successful business.
It is our policy to:
- Eliminate discrimination and promote equality of opportunity in employment regardless of age, gender, colour, ethnic or national origin, culture, religion or other philosophical belief, disability, marital or civil partnership status, political affiliation, sexual identity or sexual orientation.
- Provide structured training for staff at all levels to help everyone understand and embrace the value that the diversity of our people bring to the business
- Ensure that our working practices are sufficiently flexible to enable our staff to balance the demands of work, family and leisure time
- Ensure that all customers are able to shop with confidence in our stores, access our goods and services and be treated with respect by our staff
- Ensure that our product range takes account of the needs of a diverse customer base
- Maintain a mechanism, which customers and staff can use to give feedback on our performance, and ensure that all customer complaints are analysed, responded to and acted upon
what we've achieved so far...
- B&Q's workforce spans a huge age range from 16-96
- Approximately a quarter of our workforce is over 50
- Our workforce reflects a 55/45 gender split
- More than 1,200 of our employees speak over 60 different languages, with many being multilingual
- The business has a diverse recruitment policy, which aims to reflect the communities which it serves
- We were well ahead of the 2004 Disability Discrimination Act (DDA), eg we changed our store layouts, introduced induction loops and Braille signage in customer toilets
- Removed our retirement age more than 15 years ago
- E-Learning in place for all employees on 'Respect for People'
- All employment policy is written around our Equal Opportunities and Diversity policy
- Award winning flexible working policy
- Multiple awards won for our approach to diversity and inclusion; including Personnel Today, RADAR, Retail Week, EFA, EFD, Working Families
- Listed in the Top 50 Places where Women Want To Work for four consecutive years