Banish clutter with stylish and practical outdoor storage
Keep your garden clutter free and your outdoor items organised and accessible with our range of garden storage solutions.
Ideal if you don’t have the space for a shed and available in a variety of styles to complement your garden’s look, they help find a discreet and secure place for tools, garden equipment and outdoor living items. So whether you have plenty to pack away or just the odd bulky item, let's have a look at our garden storage options to find the right one for you.
Before you begin
What will you be storing?
Are you looking for a space to keep tools? A place for your bikes? Or storage to keep your garden neat and tidy? There are all sorts of items that require extra storage space outside, some of the most common being:
- Tools and gardening equipment
- Garden furniture, cushions and parasols
- Barbecues and accessories
- Bikes and children's toys such as paddling pools
We offer storage solutions designed with particular scenarios or tasks in mind, with features to help keep specific items safe and secure. Or, if you’re looking for more flexibility, check out our multi-purpose storage options that put away all sorts of different items tidily and securely.
How big does your storage need to be?
Now that you know what you're looking to store, it's important to measure the outdoor space you have available. With this measurement taken, you know the maximum size of your chosen storage option. Take into account the extra space required to access it, as some options will also have roof overhangs to consider. If you can, we recommend opting for a slightly larger option than you think you require – it’s always better to have too much space rather than too little and you’ll probably fill it up over time.
If you require a lot of storage, or a place to work on outdoor projects, a shed may be a better choice for you. Check out our buyer’s guides to sheds for help choosing the right one for you.
Where will your garden storage go?
Depending on what you’re storing, you may want to place it near the house for easy access – on your patio or decking for example. If this is the case, pay attention to the weight of your chosen option, as well as the recommended base for it, so that you do not damage what lies beneath.
For items that you use more rarely, you can position your storage further away from your home, maybe next to your garden fence or hidden away in an alleyway. We also stock smaller options that can be placed within greenhouses or sheds.
If your garden is susceptible to flooding, make sure your storage is placed in the driest spot possible in order to protect it and its contents. It will also need to be placed on a level surface – for more advice on how to create a suitable base if you don’t have one already, head to our how to guide on shed bases.
We offer two different types of storage: multi-purpose options that are suitable for storing a range of different items, and those that have a particular task in mind.
Most of our storage options have either an apex or pent roof to protect the structure from rainwater.
- A pent roof has one side lower than the other in order to drain water away from the front of the structure.
- An apex roof is raised in the middle to make a triangular shape and water drains away on both sides of the structure.
A full range of sizes is available so that you can choose the most appropriate model for your storage requirements.
General garden storage options
Garden storage chests and boxes
A compact alternative to the traditional shed, storage chests and boxes come in a range of styles. Look for models with wheels and handles to make it easier to move around.
Storage chests and boxes:
- Feature doors or lift-up kids
- Have either a flat or pent roof
- May have a spring-assisted opening and closing action for convenience
- Are fitted with hasp and staple locks, or padlock hasps
- May require some assembly
Outdoor shelving units
Compact storage ideal for putting away hand tools and other bits of garden equipment, our freestanding shelving units can be placed in your outdoor space or inside a shed or garage. They have wide double doors for easy access, and heavy-duty metal hinges and edge seals to keep out rain.
Outdoor shelving units:
- Have four shelves that can each hold 30kilograms (kg)
- Can hold 50kg on the base
- Are made from maintenance and fade-free resin
- Have a padlock facility for security (padlock not included)
- Require some assembly
Garden storage benches
Combine comfortable seating and discrete storage with a garden storage bench. Ours seats two people, and has room underneath the seat to keep cushions or small tools hidden out of sight. Our storage bench:
- Has a storage capacity of 265litres (l)
- Features a padlock hasp for security
Garden timber bars
A cross-between an outdoor structure and storage, a timber bar is ideal for those who love to socialise. Serve drinks to your friends and family, and when you’re done tidy away all equipment into a separate, handy storage area that will keep it out of sight.
- Are designed with an apex roof
- Have a single door for access
- Come with a lock and key for security
Storage for particular items
Looking for somewhere to store your bike or motorbike? Our range of bike stores suit different sizes and security requirements - all giving you easy access to your bikes. Bike stores:
- Are available in metal, wood and resin options
- Are designed with either apex or pent roofs
- May come with the Police SBD (Secure By Design) mark, confirming that it has their preferred specifications for security
- May require some assembly
If you have an open fire and need a place to store your fuel, a garden log store provides both a practical and decorative solution. The slatted floor and backs help keep the contents dry.
- Include a floor to keep your logs dry and off the ground
- Are designed with either a pent or apex roof to protect the logs from rainwater
- Can have doors to help conceal the contents of the store, as well as offering more protection from the elements
- Can have internal shelves and flip-top roofs for easier stacking and access
Keep your unsightly bins out of view with a bin store, they:
- Are available in single or double varieties, depending on how many bins your council provides you with
- Are designed with pent roofs
- Come with lifting lids to make it easy for you to fill your bins
- Allow for easy removal of your bins when it’s collection day
- Come with comprehensive instructions and fittings included
- Require some assembly
Are you trying to match your storage with another garden item or structure? Or is there a particular look or colour that you’re after? Our range includes various materials, as well as styles, to help you find the one for you and your outdoor space.
There are three materials to choose from.
Plastic garden storage
The most popular garden storage material, plastic is durable and requires very little maintenance.
- Won’t fade over time
- Only requires an occasional wash to keep it looking clean and new
- Is available in a number of different styles and finishes. Choose between classic neutral designs, wood-style texturing and rattan-effect finishes to achieve a decorative statement that blends in with your garden furniture, planters and other outdoor items.
Wooden garden storage
If you’re looking for the most natural look in the garden, opt for wood garden storage. Stain it to maintain its rustic look, or paint it to either coordinate or clash with the rest of your garden.
- Is available in either overlap or shiplap cladding styles.
Overlap is the more traditional look – its square-cut, rough slats overlap each other to create a rustic look associated with classic fencing and shed styles.
Shiplap is a form of tongue and groove assembly that has an oust at the top to ensure that rainwater runs straight off. Panels are nailed into place to give a superior finish, as well as increased weather resistance.
- Is made from wood that comes from sustainable sources. We work with suppliers who ensure what is taken is replenished, and that woodland habitats are protected.
- Will require regular treatment with wood stain if not pre-treated
Metal garden storage
For a modern look that provides the ideal security solution, choose metal outdoor storage. These products are designed and constructed to prevent their doors or roofs from being prised open.
- Is made from steel, making it incredibly difficult to damage or vandalise
- Is available in several neutral colours, painted in a galvanised outdoor paint to protect from rust and decay
- Is low-maintenance and designed to last
You might need
Now you’ve chosen your outdoor storage, don’t forget the little things that you’ll need to complete this addition to your garden.
It's essential to secure your storage, both from potential intruders to your garden and any inquisitive little ones (especially if tools and equipment are stored inside). It can also help during periods of bad weather. Look for products with padlocks or outdoor fixings, and if sold without, add separately.
If you’re looking to match your wood storage to your garden's look (perhaps a fence, gate or shed), or create a standalone style statement, check out our range of exterior paints for wood. Alternatively, use a more subtle protective treatment to help maintain its natural beauty.
We recommend that all of our garden storage products are laid on level, solid and dry ground. Grass, soil or loose gravel won't prevent it from becoming waterlogged in bad weather and an uneven ground will weaken your structure. Additionally, if you're opting for one with assembly service, the professional installation team won't be able to erect your storage without a suitable base already established.
To achieve this secure base, consider laying a paved or concrete foundation. For expert help on laying a concrete and paved base, head over to our article on laying a shed base as all of the same principles apply.