Whenever you want create a special feature, add instant impact or just buy a stunning gift for a friend, then take a look at the 'Outstanding' plants range from B&Q. Our experts have travelled the world to select exceptional, top quality plants that will take pride of place in any garden. Every variety has been specially chosen for its unique character and impressive performance, including many plants you're unlikely to find available elsewhere.
The Background Story
Growing such unique plants takes both skill and patience, so the B&Q horticultural experts have sought out some of the best nurseries in the world to bring you the 'Outstanding' plant range.
Many come from well-established nurseries in Italy, where an ideal climate and soil provide great growing conditions. Using growing skills and techniques, mastered over generations, every plant is carefully propagated and nurtured for many years before it's ready for your garden.
Bringing striking forms, graceful foliage and subtle tones to your garden, our Oriental Collection will help you create a calm and relaxing space to unwind or entertain. Plants in the range include:
- Japanese maples (Acer varieties)
- Magnolias, including trained forms
- Black bamboo and other varieties
- Red Abyssinian Banana (Ensete maurelii)
Top tip: clip, clip
To maintain their perfect shape and size, topiary is required every few weeks, through the growing season, with hand clippers. As a rule of thumb, clipping little and often is far better than only trimming topiary once or twice a year.
Choose plants with bold, lush foliage to bring a tropical touch to your garden. Whether using deep green leaves to produce cool, shady places or brightly coloured foliage for an exotic touch, our Tropical Collection contains plants native to countries as far afield as South America, Asia and New Zealand. Selected especially for their resilience in our UK climate, all the plants will perform well outside during the summer months, with striking architectural appeal. The collection includes:
- Yucca-leaved beschorneria
- Cabbage tree (Cordyline varieties)
- Soft tree fern (Dicksonia antarctica)
Create a Mediterranean garden that brings the warmth, scent and colour of this region to your garden. Relishing the heat of high summer, these plants like it hot and dry, making them ideal for anyone looking for a trouble-free, low maintenance garden. Bring the mood of the Mediterranean to your own outdoor eating area with a collection of plants including:
- Clipped Bay (Laurus nobilis)
- Windmill Palm (Trachycarpus fortunei)
- Dwarf Fan Palm (Chamaerops humilis)
- New Zealand Flax (Phormium varieties)
- Trumpet Vine (Campsis)
- Californian lilac (Ceanothus varieties)
From slender spirals to stately standards, perfect pyramids to box balls, our Topiary Collection provides instant features that add a touch of fun, structure and style to any garden. Use pairs of plants for dramatic entrances, individual plants to add focal points to your design or groups to give your garden the wow factor. Choose from a wide range of beautifully trained and clipped topiary specimens including:
- Pyramids of box (Buxus)
- Spirals of Cupressus arizonica and Conifer Goldcrest.
- Balls of box, Photinia 'Little Red Robin' and conifer 'Castlewellan Gold'.
- Pompoms of conifer 'Gold Rider' and Thuja 'Smaragd'.
- Full standard heads atop tall stems of Photinia Pink Marble, Privet (Ligustrum delavayanum), Cryptomeria japonica 'Globosa' and Viburnum tinus.
While all the 'Outstanding' plant range can be planted directly into your garden, many also look stunning grown in large patio pots. Choose a container style and colour that suits the plant and your garden; planting the shrub into it using a loam-based compost, such as Verve John Innes No3.