Get creative and design a chalkboard Christmas tree
Add a touch of something special to your home’s decorations this Christmas with our DIY blackboard Christmas tree. The perfect addition to your festive home, this alternative tree is great if you’re strapped for space, super simple to make and a bit of festive fun to enjoy with the family. So if you’re looking to make this holiday’s decorations unique, grab your chalk and let’s get creative.
How to make a blackboard Christmas tree
You might need:
- A blackboard or an area of wall space that is painted with chalkboard paint - if looking to paint on a wall, check out our guide to using blackboard paint. Or, if you’re creating a separate blackboard, here’s our how to steps.
- Christmas tree string lights - choose the size, colour and style to suit your chalk tree. Not sure which ones to go with? Read our helpful guide to Christmas lights.
- Assorted individual Christmas decorations - to suit your Christmas style
- Adhesive hooks - we recommend using clear, plastic hooks that can easily be removed from the surface afterwards
- Chalk sticks
- A ruler
- If using old, filament bulb Christmas lights, check for any damage to the plug, the cable, the bulbs and bulb holders before turning on Christmas lights.
- Plug lights into the closest available socket to the blackboard. This minimises trailing cables which can be a trip hazard.
Sketch out the shape of your blackboard Christmas tree onto the chalkboard surface.
Do this lightly with your chalk and ruler for a precise finish, or freehand if you have a steady hand.
Once you’re happy with the shape and size of your blackboard tree, go over the sketch to make the design more prominent.
Decide where you want your decorations to go and secure your hooks on the tree.
Before adding the lights, plug them in and test them to check that all the bulbs work.
Once tested, unplug and hook your Christmas lights onto the tree. Work downwards from the top to bottom and plug them in once arranged.
We've opted for ice white LED string lights which are available in various lengths and with green or transparent cable.
Build up your chalk tree with baubles, felt decorations and anything else that takes your festive fancy.
To help, we’ve created three distinctive Christmas collections so you can coordinate your seasonal style across all your decorations.
- Nordic Tradition - rich colours and luxurious materials such as velvet and copper for a classic holiday feel with a nordic twist.
- Christmas Vacation - bright and happy colours, ideal for kids
- Vintage Christmas - delicate metallics and soft pastels for a retro look this Christmas
We’ve gone for a rustic look with ours.
And there you have it, a simple but fun festive project for your home this Christmas.